While many think setting ambitious goals and achieving things will lead to a happier life, the best way to live a happier life is to be good and kind to yourself. Ironically, simply being happy with yourself can result in the achievement of those goals you set more easily, giving your life more meaning. So want to make yourself happy now? There are a number of small and simple changes you can make in your life to increase your happiness. Just check and follow the list below!
30 Things to Do to Make You Happy
1. Start making better choices. The one way you can be happier is simply to start changing the things in your life that don't make you happy.
2. Live in the present moment more. Dwelling in the past will only make the past repeat itself; the happiest people are the ones that live in the present moment instead of worrying about the future or regretting the past.
3. Every day, write down at least three things that you are grateful for or that made you happy. You will be more thankful for what you have and gain a more positive outlook on life.
4. Find the positive aspect in every situation. The easiest thing to do is to complain and see the negative things in life and this, in turn, gives you more negativity. Find the positive side of every situation and be thankful for how things turned out instead of how they could have been.
5. Squeeze in a little bit of exercise even if it is just a short walk for 20 minutes a day. Not only does exercising make you healthier, but it is also a way for you to clear your head and re-energize.
6. Spend more on others. Instead of treating yourself, spend your money giving to others which will make you happier because it builds a connection to another person.
7. Make friends with happier people. Who you surround yourself with plays a role in your own happiness so keep other happy individuals close to your inner circle and try to avoid negative people.
8. Make meditation a part of your daily routine. There are many benefits from lower risk of heart disease to a more positive outlook on life. Meditating for just 15 minutes a day can boost your happiness in a number of ways.
9. One of the things to do to make you happy is to simply try something new. The more things you experience, the happier you will be, so stop delaying! Try that new restaurant; sign up for a salsa class, be friends with different kind of people…
10. Hug someone you love more. Hugging can decrease the heart rate, blood pressure and increase levels of oxytocin which is a hormone linked to happiness. Hug at least 8 times a day for at least 20 seconds and you'll feel much happier.
11. Read more books. Set aside some time each week or every day to simply relax and read a favorite book or one that you have been longing to read.
12. Smile more even if you have to fake it at first. Smiling can cause the heart rate to decrease which can make you relax and make you feel happier.
13. Don't compare yourself with others and instead just focus on what you have accomplished and are trying to accomplish. You'll end up being more productive and achieving more.
14. Reach out to others. Send an email, text or even go the old fashioned route and send a letter to someone you haven't spoken to in a while. Making connections is a great way to boost your happiness.
15. Give compliments to others more often. When was the last time you told your friends how awesome they are or how much you love your significant other's cooking? Give out more compliments to make others feel better and you'll feel better about yourself too.
16. Check the small task off your to-do list. Declutter your desk, organize your basement or simply clear out the junk. When you clean up your environment you'll feel happier and less suffocated by all the stuff.
17. Unplug at least one day a week. Turn off your phone, keep your computer turned off and simply spend time with your family and friends without interruption of alerts and messages.
18. Plan ahead for something. One of the things to do to make you happy is to simply have something to look forward to. It can be as simple as coffee with a friend or a trip to an exotic destination. Just make more plans.
19. Pay it forward and do more random acts of kindness. Hold the door open, pay for someone's coffee, put a quarter in someone's parking meter… Be more kind to more people and you will start feeling much better about your life overall.
20. Listen to others more. Technology makes it easier for us to forget to have actual human interactions. But those who listen to the stories of others face to face tend to have a more positive and happier life.
21. Learn something new. Whether it's a language you always wanted to learn or a simple do it yourself project you've been wishing you knew how to do, take the time to learn something new every day.
22. Make more time for what matters to you. Even if you can only dedicate 15 minutes a day to it, find your passion and dedicate more time to pursuing it.
23. Worry less and take action more. Instead of worrying about how things are going to happen, spend more time on making them happen. Talk less and do more, you'll not only be more successful but happier.
24. Be happy for others more. Instead of being jealous, be happy for the accomplishments of others. When you are genuinely happy for what those around you have accomplished, you will begin to be happier with what you accomplish as well.
25. Treat others with love and you will learn to love yourself more. Every day you have the ability to change someone's life without ever knowing it simply by being kind. Be more kind to others and you will be more kind to yourself.
26. Be mindful of the words you use. When you rid your vocabulary of “I can't”, “never”, “I have to” and many other negative phrases, you will begin to complain less. Instead remember and use the phrases like “I get to”, "I can" and so on.
27. Focus more on the things you can control and less on the things you cannot control. You control your own happiness. When you realize that you can choose to be happy, you will be happier.
28. One of the unexpected things to do to make you happy is to pursue the uncertainty. So often we let fear hold us back that we end up stuck because we don't know how things will turn out if we do something different. Stop fearing the unknown and take more risks, you will find they are easier than you thought.
29. Take some time to be alone. You can easily lift your mood and change your outlook on things when you take time for yourself.
30. Forgive yourself and others. Regret is the ultimate happiness thief, so learn to forgive others and especially yourself. We all make mistake, simply learn and let go.